Saturday, November 7, 2015

Life Under the Exit Sign

Under the Exit Sign
"Life Under the Exit Sign" photo by Tom Thomas
Every single apartment I've lived in has been under an exit sign. Starting with my college dorm room, and then continuing on through six different apartments in three different cities.

There were a couple of breaks over the years, joining with friends to rent a house. The houses had no literal exit signs... though in each instance, there were many signs that I should exit. Sadly, I stayed in each beyond the signals, indicators and warnings that it was not the right place for me. Except for one positive experience, I finally moved out hurt and disheartened, with friends reduced to roommates. Friends that became lessons.

Whether moving into an apartment beginning the journey into adulthood, or from leaving a shared rental, or leaving one apartment to move to a new one; there was always the exit sign. Right above the door.

Was this a signal of some kind? Perhaps a warning that my move was insufficient... that life was continuing on a path from which deviation would be beneficial. I mean, the exit sign is RIGHT THERE.

Regardless, they were ignored. The consistency deemed a recurring coincidence. A road less traveled not taken.

After many years of living under the exit sign, I wonder if it wasn't a coincidence. If it wasn't the universe obtusely telling me to move further, to try more, to venture... beyond.

I'm not sure what this blog will become. There will likely be posts comprised of some things written in the past, and thoughts arising in the present. Maybe some political things, maybe some cultural things. Maybe not. I don't know, I have no particular plan. It's an outlet more than anything else, at the moment anyway.

The exit sign is still, as before, above the door. Life, such as it is, remains under it.



No comments:

Post a Comment